Friday 27 January 2012

Five times a wife

The full title of The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Famous Moll Flanders  gives an apt summary of the plot: "The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Famous Moll Flanders, Etc. Who was born in Newgate, and during a life of continu'd Variety for Threescore Years, besides her Childhood, was Twelve Year a Whore, five times a Wife (whereof once to her own brother), Twelve Year a Thief, Eight Year a Transported Felon in Virginia, at last grew Rich, liv'd Honest and died a Penitent. Written from her own Memorandums." 

What a title - what a life - although a fictional one! Defoe is said to have based his story on 'real life' and maybe a woman had to marry and re-marry for financial reasons during that period? (1722). 

Elizabeth Taylor was married eight times - twice to Richard Burton. I have four friends who have married three times, so it seems that three maybe quite 'normal'. 

I was surprised recently to hear that my thrice married beau (it seems a little ridiculous at 50 to call him 'my boyfriend - although after this I may refer to him as 'my current boyfriend') was also engaged to another woman inbetween the marriages! 

Now, call me old fashioned but isn't this a little excessive... 

I wonder if some people are born romantics and always want to make what they perceive as the biggest commitment, or that the answer is more prosaic than that? Maybe it is love, maybe optimism presides and the serial marrier feels the marriage will make them secure?  

I have no idea! However it made me laugh that anyone could be so optimistic in the face of such (I hesistate to use the word failure) failure... that I think is a good sign!

Elizabeth Taylor is reported to have said: "I have only slept with men I have been married to, how many women can make that claim." There speaks a true romantic.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment