Thursday 29 March 2012

Pick and Mix

In one of those 'association' moments that occur, ever since I wrote a post on elasticated underwear and tuck, the phrase 'pick and mix' kept returning to me with the idea of pick and mix religion attached. The main concept seems to be that people pick and chose the elements of a variety of religions that they like, or agree with, and wrap them up by describing themselves as 'religious' or 'spiritual'.

Buddhism is often a likely first stop, and in my experience - a citizen of a Christian society - a little mix of both often offer a handy life choice that covers most eventualities but doesn't require too much effort.

I began writing 'I am as guilty of this as...' , but then I realised the word 'guilty' was wrong. I don't feel guilty about it. My knowledge of Buddhism is probably as light weight as my knowledge of Christianity. The primary difference is that I made a choice to read a little about Buddhism . whereas my Christian 'knowledge' consists of remnants of cultural ideology and half forgotten sermons and hymns from school and childhood.  

I can recall the Buddhist idea of enlightenment. The idea being that you should recognise  yourself and  deal with elements of your nature that make your life challenging or shallow, or aspects that you want to change. The stages go something like this:

Finding the Ox's traces (the Ox is a metaphor)
Glimpsing the Ox
Catching the Ox to turn it round
Leading the Ox onto the path
Riding the Ox home
Boy and Ox both forgotten
The beauty of the world is all

I don't know enough to understand if this is a 'one life' thing or if the stages can be applied many times. Reading other posts on this blog will quite clearly demonstrate that I am nowhere near enlightenment; nor do I ever think I will be - too much of a 'pick and mixer' even for that, but I have caught the Ox and occasionally  I even believe I am leading it home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment