Monday 12 March 2012

The open road

I read a friend's blog about coincidence a couple of days ago http://www.forthefainthearted.com/2012/03/07/the-little-people-are-out-to-get-me/
Yesterday he wrote about childrens' literature, quoting the close of  Milne's The House at Pooh Corner http://www.forthefainthearted.com/2012/03/11/disappearing-years/

‘Then, suddenly again, Christopher Robin, who was still looking at the world with his chin in his hands, called out “Pooh!”
“Yes?” said Pooh.
“When I’m – when – Pooh!”
“Yes, Christopher Robin?”
“I’m not going to do Nothing any more.”
“Never again?”
“Well, not so much. They don’t let you.”
Pooh waited for him to go on, but he was silent again.
“Yes, Christopher Robin?” said Pooh helpfully.
“Pooh, when I’m – you know – when I’m not doing Nothing, will you come up here sometimes?”
“Just Me?”
“Yes, Pooh.”
“Will you be here too?”
“Yes, Pooh, I will be really. I promise I will be, Pooh.”
“That’s good,” said Pooh.
“Pooh, promise you won’t forget about me, ever. Not even when I’m a hundred.”
Pooh thought for a little.
“How old shall I be then?”
“Ninety-nine.”
Pooh nodded.
“I promise,” he said.
Still with his eyes on the world Christopher Robin put out a hand and felt for Pooh’s paw.
“Pooh,” said Christopher Robin earnestly, “if I – if I’m not quite” he stopped and tried again – “. Pooh, whatever happens, you will understand, won’t you?”
“Understand what?”
“Oh, nothing.” He laughed and jumped to his feet. “Come on!”
“Where?” said Pooh.
“Anywhere,” said Christopher Robin.

Tomorrow my youngest child is off to India. My eldest sister sent her a card on which she had quoted Toad from The Wind in The Willows:

 "We'll go for a jolly ride! The open road! The dusty highway, the heath, the common, the hedgerows, the rolling downs! Camps, villages, towns, cities! Here today and off somewhere else tomorrow! Travel, change, interest, excitement!"

Is it a coincidence that two people in a short time used quotes from two of English literature's greatest children's books - or that both relate perfectly to how I feel about my baby today? 
Is it wrong that (despite of the outcome of this excursion),  I want her to be a Mr. Toad rather than a Christopher Robin?

"Shout "Hooray" - for Mr. Toad. Sound your horns, fire the cannons, shout "Hooray", for it's Toad's grrrrreat day!"



Fortunately I think she is.


  


5 comments:

  1. It's Christopher Robin's words 'Not quite' that always bring a lump to the throat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you read that to mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That something unrecoverable is going to be lost?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read it as more an idea of change, of things changing.

    The concept of change, things not happening in just the same way again, makes me think of Hardy with the line 'but never as then' from On The Departure Platform.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that change is irreversible, though. The former relationship can never be recovered. I feel it as a moment of grief.

    ReplyDelete