Tuesday 6 March 2012

Mid Life Crisis

I have an excuse for my slackness in posting this past few days: I hennaed my hair and had a huge allergic reaction to the henna. Instead of covering the grey as I had hoped, I had a massively swollen face and severe facial pain for almost 3 days. Oh the price of trying to look a little better - younger maybe?

50 has taken me by surprise, or maybe it was losing my job that made me more aware of how age has crept up. Logically it is probably because I have more time to look and myself and notice the grey hair, or should I take a leaf from the positive approach handbook and refer to my 'grey' as silver.

Esther Rantzen who is well known for her work with developing and supporting Childline, has developed  a new help and support service called Silverline. From what I gather it is intended to be of use for elderly people suffering from loneliness as much as any other form of difficulty, however it is hi-lighted on the Alzheimers uk online forum http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?39545-Esther-Rantzens-new-campaign-Silverline-24hr-telephone-service

We recently celebrated my eldest grandchild's 7th birthday, her whole class attended, plus little brothers, sisters and my great nephew and niece. My sisters (3), 2 good friends of mine, and my children and grandchildren. Will I be lonely in my older age? I don't think so, but I am aware of many others who are and thinking of this (plus the pain of the allergy - I'm no saint) has made me reconsider my vanity.

On a lighter note a very old friend (she will hate that, but we have been friends for 31 years), was looking at me intently and stated 'well, they say you either keep your face or your figure, you have kept your figure'...
:  /

No comments:

Post a Comment